MÉDITATION – a 1CD compilation for the entry-level consumer. This collection is an ideal introduction to Massenet’s music, featuring all the beautiful melodies from his operas and ballets, including the favourite, Méditation from Thaïs.
• Jules Massenet, who died 100 years ago in 1912, was a French composer best known for his operas, and was widely considered in his day to be one of the greatest melodists of his time alongside Puccini.
• The Best of Massenet includes his most popular music, performed by a starry cast of artists, including Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland, Jonas Kaufmann, Renée Fleming, Joseph Calleja, Angela Gheorghiu and Marilyn Horne.
• Soon after his death, Massenet's style went out of fashion, and today he is best known for the popular violin showpiece Méditation from his opera Thaïs (performed here by Nigel Kennedy), and is unfairly regarded by many as something of a one-hit wonder.
• Opera and ballet aficionados have known otherwise for some time and that he is in truth one of classical music’s best-kept secrets. 2012, the centenary year of his death, is the perfect opportunity time to introduce a wider audience to the exquisite charms and beauty of his music.
1. Méditation religieuse - Symphonie
2. De cet affreux combat...Pleurez, mes yeux
3. "Pourquoi me réveiller, ô souffle du printemps?"
4. Il est doux, il est bon
5. Je suis seul...Ah, fuyez, douce image
6. Esprits de l'air! Esprits de onde!
7. "Ah! Ah!"
8. Où suis-je?
9. Ah! je suis seule, seule enfin!
10. Dis-moi que je suis belle
11. Valse très lente
12. Aubade: Vive amour qui rêve
13. Instant charmant...En fermant les yeux
14. Ah! que mes soeurs sont heureuses!
15. Scene 2 - Des Grieux's lodgings
16. "Je ne sais si je veille" - "O Nature, pleine de grâce
17. Va! Laisse couler mes larmes
18. Oh! Si les fleurs avaient des yeux
19. Le dernier sommeil de la Vièrge (The last sleep of the Virgin)